Painting with Soft Pastels!
Day: Tuesdays, January 10 – February 14 (6 weeks)
Cost: $145 Members | $175 Non-Members
Location: Cape Cod Art Center, Studio B
-Drop- ins per class are welcome for $30
Let’s explore pastels and express your creative voice in a fun and friendly atmosphere as a pastel painter! All abilities (including beginners) are welcome!
Participants will work in a series to learn and review pastel basics. We will explore various materials, including many hard and soft pastel brands, sanded and self-prepared surfaces, as well as advanced techniques available to pastel painters today. We will focus on value, color, design and composition. Students will receive instruction on the process of working with pastels with on-on-one support, class interaction and feedback.
PASTEL SUPPLIES LIST
- Faber-Castell Soft Pastels 48 or 72 set or comparable (and available at Michael’s or online at: www.dickblick.com , www.dakotapastels.com and other art supply sites), OR just bring what you have! But NO oil pastels! Everyone is encouraged to try and use Eileen’s pastels before making any investments… But fair warning, acquiring pastels may be habit-forming!!
- The other available pastel options will be discussed in class.
- Sketchbook for thumbnails, preliminary sketches and exercises.
- Your cell phone or device with photos that you may print at the center, or copies of YOUR OWN images for painting references of what YOU WANT TO PAINT!
- Drawing Board or support to mount paper on. Kneaded Eraser. Rubbing Alcohol. Paper Towel. Gloves, if desired. Baby Wipes or Rag.
- Please, DO NOT purchase unsanded papers (like Canson or Strathmore). If you are a beginner, pastel paper is not necessary for the first week. We will discuss sanded papers, like UArt, Colorfix, Pastel Premier, and PastelMat. (UART will be available for purchase.) We’ll also talk about methods to make your own surfaces.
- Feel free to bring any related supplies you may have in your studio.