Instructor: Julie Blanchard
Day: Fridays (6 classes) Class, Feb. 25-April 1, 2022
Price: Members $145/Non-Members $175
Location: Cape Cod Art Center, Studio B
This course will begin with a review of materials and basic watercolor techniques and end with the successful completion of paintings done on the spot. Direct watercolor painting, wet on wet and dry brush techniques will be demonstrated and practiced, knowledge of color, value and composition will also be addressed.
- Get a palette (John Pike or similar, with lid or cover) (I use a palette that has wells on the side/three bigger wells that I mix the colors on and then just cover it with box tape)
- some watercolor paper (140 lb. Arches, Cold press 22×30 3 sheets)
- brushes – round #10, Flat 1” or ¾”
- Tube watercolors, Winsor & Newton has great colors. (Burnt Sienna, Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine blue, Cerulean blue, Cadmium Orange) Those colors make every other color. If you want to add on later . . .add Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow, Raw Sienna, Cadmium Red Light, Magenta, and Cobalt Blue.
- Sketch book
- Foam core board, 24×36 (if you don’t find this or get it, let me know, I’ll bring something from home)
- Masking tape
- Paper towels and plastic containers for water (I use peanut butter jars . . . again, if you don’t have something, tell me and I’ll bring some from home)
- Soft pencil, kneaded eraser
If you have trouble finding something . . let me know.
Julie Blanchard graduated from Emmanuel College, Boston MA, an art major, in 1967 and began a 36 year career, teaching art in the Waltham Public Schools. She began working in a masters program in studio art and art history, received an MAT in Fine arts in 1984 from Assumption College in Worcester. In 1985 became the Director of Art for the Waltham Public Schools. Since retiring in 2003, she has traveled across the United States, driving and painting to Idaho in the summer of 2004. Then joining a group of traveling artists to paint in Ireland (2004), Italy (2005), the Greek Isles (2006) and Cornwall, England (2007). She currently teaches adult courses in oil painting, watercolor, portraiture and drawing at the Cape Cod Art Association in Barnstable and watercolor at the Creative Art Center in Chatham. Working in watercolor on the spot, outdoors, in every kind of weather became a regular part of the schedule. Using strong color and a variety of techniques to capture the mood and feeling of the day, Blanchard allows nature to take a hand in the completed work. Whether it is sand and bugs or ice crystals in winter she makes use of the environment to help capture the moment.
Blanchard is juried Master artist of the Cape Cod Art Association, an artist member of the Creative Art Center in Chatham, and the Cultural Center of Cape Cod and regularly exhibits throughout New England. She is a Signature Member of the New England Watercolor Society and Associate Member of the National Watercolor Society. Her watercolor paintings are in private collections in Arizona, California, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Idaho, Texas, Missouri and Virginia. Her work can be seen at the Fresh Paint Gallery in Yarmouthport.freshpaintgalleryonline.com and at Fresh Paint Studios at the Cultural Center of Cape Cod in South Yarmouth.