Painting with Pure Pigment – Pastels 101
Instructor: Eileen Casey
Day: Wednesdays (6 weeks). Class begins on September 18th
Cost: $96 Members | $126 Non-Members
Find your own artistic voice and become a pastel painter!
Learn pastel basics about available materials, including various hard and soft pastels, sanded and prepared surfaces, as well as pastel painting techniques. There will be a focus on drawing, design and composition, using value studies and quick color exercises. Enjoy the process of working with pastels with one-on-one support.
Pastel Supplies List
- Faber-Castell Goldfaber Studio Soft Pastels 48 or 72 set. Available at Michael’s or online at: www.dickblick.com• www.dakotap
astels.com • www.jerrysartaram a.com • www.cheapjoes.com
- Sketchbook or small sheet of Canson or charcoal paper for sketching and exercises.
- Soft watercolor style brush for underpainting, cell phone/camera or photo references
- Soft vine Charcoal and stick of compressed black charcoal, Black Sharpie
- Kneaded Eraser, Rubbing Alcohol, Paper Towels/rags
- (Pastel paper not necessary for first week as we will discuss sanded papers, like UArt, Colorfix, Pastel Premier, PastelMat, as well as methods to make your own surfaces Other pastels and their properties will be discussed. www.terryludwig.com www.greatpastels.com.)
- Feel free to bring any other pastel supplies, but do not feel like you have to buy them until you are familiar with the different types of surfaces and pastels available!
Eileen majored in Art at Emmanuel College. She taught art and worked with children close to 40 years. Her primary medium is pastel and she enjoys printmaking, mixed media, and graphite. She is a Master Artist at CCAC and an International Association of Pastel Societies Master Circle Artist. She is a Signature Member of the Pastel Society of America, the Connecticut Pastel Society, as well as the Pastel Painters Society of Cape Cod, where she is past Recording Secretary, past Vice President and currently serving on the Board. She is a member of several additional art organizations. She was a pastel instructor at the Creative Arts Center in Chatham in 2018. Eileen earned First Place in the 2012 Pastel Journal and an Honorable Mention in 2013. She was also chosen for their 2017 “7 Emerging Pastel Artists to Watch”. She has been honored with numerous national, regional and local awards for her work. Eileen shows at Sandwich Antiques Center and with the Sandwich Arts Alliance. She lives in Sandwich.