Mosaic Andamento Workshop Meghan Walsh 2022
If you are looking for a way to tap into your creativity and learn a new skill and technique that may lead you into a journey of artistic discovery, this one-of-a-kind workshop for at Cape Cod Art Center is for you! You will have the time to design/create a completed abstract mosaic, ready to hang at the end of your workshop working with a smorgasbord of instructor provided materials like stone, porcelain, glass, recycled materials, etc. You will learn the rules of traditional mosaic ‘andamento’ and the multitudes of variations and possibilities for invention in contemporary mosaic, along with basic design principles of proportion, repetition, scale, transformation, symmetry and more. You will explore the fundamental material qualities of different kinds of tesserae, and how to cut and adhere within the technique of ‘direct-set’ in mortar. You will be drawn by the mindfulness of mosaic-making… the conscious choice – tessera by tessera – expressing and carrying out your ideas, inspirations and aspirations.
Dates: Friday through Sunday, October 21-23, 2022,
Time: 10am-4pm each day
Tuition: Member $470 / Non-Member $490 *Materials Fee is already included ($50)
The materials included are the following:
- Materials: Stone including: marble, limestone, sandstone, Marcellus shale, Red dog; Glass including: Venetian Smalti, stained glass, recycled glass, vitreous glass, millefiori; Other materials: Porcelain tile, pottery shards, china, circuit boards, and other miscellaneous items
- Tools & Equipment: Each student will be supplied with tile nippers, glass cutters, running pliers, tweezers, palette knifes, mortar mixing implements, brushes and all needed to complete a mosaic.
- Substrate: Each student will have a pre-made, hand-built 9” x 12” substrate with embedded hanging hardware to be able to have a fully completed piece to hang at home at the end of the workshop.
Students will learn:
- Cutting methods for a variety of tesserae including tile nipper cutting, glass-cutting and stone hammer & hardie (basic introduction as this is a very specific skill requiring a whole class in itself)
- Base knowledge of mosaic history and the various forms of andamento found in ancient work as well as contemporary mosaic variations
- Mixing mortar, applying to substrates and adhering tesserae in the direct-set technique
- “Rules” of mosaic andamento
- Fundamentals of Design composition
Students will each complete their own unique, hand-made mosaic art in this class.